|EARLY CHILDHOOD TEACHER|
• An early childhood teacher may perform the following tasks:
• Assist children with their toileting and other personal matters
• Attend to sick children and those in need of first aid
• Comfort children who are hurt or distressed
• Discuss with parents and other educators aspects of the child's development
• Discuss with parents the aims of the education program
• Early childhood teachers plan and conduct education programs for young children.
• Encourage children to question and explore the world in which they live
• Help integrate children with special needs into mainstream classes
• Help to organize and participate in excursions to enhance learning experiences
• Observe children to evaluate and record their progress, and recommend appropriate programs for further development and to detect signs of developmental disorder, ill health or emotional disturbance
• Participate in community activities and parent/staff committees
• Plan activities using a variety of materials and equipment to develop good coordination, social skills, creativity, self-expression and an interest in learning
• Promote an awareness and appreciation of the multicultural society in which we live
• Promote health and safety concepts and social interaction with other children
• Promote language development and self-confidence through storytelling, drama, music and discussions
• Supervise and work with student teachers and trainee childcare workers.
• Work with guidance officers, speech pathologists and psychologists to assist children with special needs
Early childhood teachers may work in pre-school centers; early education classes, community kindergartens and community child care centers.
Typical Personal Requirements:
• A keen desire to teach children
• Able to relate to children and their families
• Enthusiasm, tact, patience and a sense of humor
• Good problem-solving skills
• High level of planning and organizational skills
• Prepared to work out of school hours.
• Sound literacy and numeric skills
• Willing to learn